Want to Make More Money as a Freelance Writer? Here are 10 Reasons To Consider Copywriting
Looking to chuck that full-time job for a life of full-time writing? Or maybe you've already dumped the day job but aren't quite as busy as you'd like to be. Why not take a closer look at copywriting?
Copywriting, also known as business or promotional writing, can do more than put a few extra bucks in your wallet - it can also help you develop as a writer. Here are ten reasons why:
1. Copywriting pays well. Actually it can pay very well. I know copywriters who easily make six figures in a year. That's because copywriters charge by the hour rather than the by the word or page. Beginning copywriters usually start at $25 or $30 an hour, but if they're good (or good at asking for what they're worth - a rare trait in writers but one definitely worth developing) they can quickly move to $45 to $75 an hour. Senior copywriters charge well over $100 an hour.
Now you probably won't start at $100 an hour, but even a few small jobs at $30 an hour can really boost your bottom line.
2. Copywriting pays you before begin working. Yes, you heard right. You can actually ask for a deposit before you start writing. (What other kind of writing allows you to do that?) Moreover, your clients will EXPECT this.
Deposits range from one-third to one-half of your estimated fee. You can also arrange it where you get paid throughout the process - i.e. one-third in the beginning, one-third with the first draft and one-third when you deliver the final product
3. Copywriting fits into your schedule. Don't want to do it full-time? Just take on jobs when your other writing work is slow or you need the extra cash. Now to land those jobs you'll have to do some networking, but believe me, that's a good thing. As a full-time freelance writer, finding ways to connect with the rest of the human race is a constant challenge. Going out and networking can be the answer to the secluded, sometimes-cut-off life of a writer.
4. Copywriting helps your other writing. Writing good copy means writing clean, crisp and powerfully. It means explaining products and services clearly. It means organizing ideas to make the biggest impact. It means knowing how to edit your own work - including being able to recognize your writing flaws and fix them.
As you can see, the same rules to good copywriting also apply to other kinds of writing. But with copywriting, those rules are even more exaggerated. Your writing has to be lean and mean - there's absolutely no room for extra words. You need to get in, make your point, and get out. No matter what kind of writing you do, learning to write this tight will help you.
I've discovered that copywriting has strengthened my fiction and other writing. It's forced me to trim out the fat, leaving only the powerful words that pull their own weight. In fact, trying a variety of writing styles has helped me discover and intensify my writing voice.
5. Copywriting helps you learn about marketing. What's the essence of copywriting? Using words to sell. You also have to learn about the different marketing vehicles and how to write for each of them (i.e. writing for the Web is very different than writing a 30-second radio spot). You learn about target markets, goals and marketing plans. This will all help you market yourself and your other writing.
6. Copywriting helps you develop regular writing habits. Clients give you deadlines. Deadlines mean you have to produce regardless of what your muse decides to do or even where your muse is. You want to get paid? You get the work done.
Also, just by picking up a few extra copywriting jobs means you're writing more. The more you write, the better you'll get at writing AND the better you'll get at just sitting down and putting words on paper no matter what your mood is.
7. Copywriting helps you develop a professional attitude about writing. There's nothing that makes you feel more like a professional writer than having people pay you to write. It's a great boost to your ego (to say nothing for your bank account). Also, as a professional copywriter, you'll need business cards, a Web site, a desk, office supplies, etc. Plus you'll have to start introducing yourself as a professional writer. All these things will help you cultivate an image of a serious writer.
8. Copywriting can boost your ego. Unlike other forms of writing where kudos are few and far between, copywriting clients are usually pretty good about telling you how much they like what you wrote and how much they enjoy working with you. Many times you'll even get thanked (I know, amazing concept). Best yet, you can take advantage of all that goodwill and ask for testimonials, which you then put on your marketing materials for other people to see. (You can even read them on those really bad days when you wonder why it ever occurred to you that you could write).
9. Copywriting can help you learn how to handle criticism. Okay - I know I just got finished telling you about all the compliments you'll receive, which you will if you do a good job, but at the same time you will be asked to make changes. It's a fact of life. Sometimes those changes are very minor, but you almost always go through a second or third draft (and sometimes even a tenth draft, but we won't talk about those right now). However, and this is important to remember, your clients can and will still love your writing and still ask you to make changes. After all, you don't know their business or their customers the way they do, and there will be things you just won't know.
Because these changes are usually completely separate from your writing style, they're a lot easier to hear and a lot easier to make then, say, someone hates one of your novel's subplots. And if clients do want to make a change you don't agree with, feel free to discuss it with them. You are the expert here. Clients are hiring you because you know how to write and they don't. They'll listen to you, and even if you end up making that change, at least you've discussed it.
All of this is good practice. After awhile, you'll learn to separate constructive criticism from nasty criticism, and eventually learn not to take even the nasty criticism personally. I'm not saying criticism won't still hurt, I'm just saying all of this will help you develop a professional attitude about it.
10. Copywriting can increase your knowledge. Not only will you learn about different businesses, but different industries and different niches. You'll learn about problems, challenges and successes. All stuff you can use in future articles and novels.
There's actually more than just ten ways copywriting can help you as a writer - it can sharpen your interviewing skills and beef up your contact list. But ten ways sounded good, so I thought I would stick with that. Regardless, the skills and information you learn as a copywriter can also help you become a better writer in general.
Michele Pariza Wacek owns Creative Concepts and Copywriting, a writing, marketing and creativity agency. She offers two free e-newsletters that help subscribers combine their creativity with hard-hitting marketing and copywriting principles to become more successful at attracting new clients, selling products and services and boosting business. She can be reached at writingusa.com
Engage Your Customer - Write About Benefits
Think quick. In 10 seconds, can you list the 5 key benefits you offer your customers?I bet you said "Yes".
Web Writing - Dont Lose Your Visitors Attention!
Did you know that your writing can have a huge impact on how successful your site will be? If you're trying to sell a product or a service, what you say and how you say it is extremely important because you don't want to lose your visitor's interest before they get to your order form.Here are some tips to help you improve your writing skills in order to keep your visitor's attention.
Is Your Content Provider Selling You Ripped Content?
Ripped content: well the term itself is self explanatory. Content that has been copied from some other site, without any official authority to do so.
Its Not What You Say But How You Say It
Copy is all about words. Or is it?Copy is about using words to describe the benefits of your offer.
Revealed: The $12,500 Copywriting Formula
Have you heard of Brian Keith Voiles? Probably not, but if you have eyes you've seen his ad campaigns and you probably even bought products that he created ad campaigns for. Would you like to have the formula he gets paid $12,500 to put into use for Fortune 500 Companies?Well then, today's your lucky day, isn't it? If you follow this formula whenever you write a sales letter or an ad you'll see how well it increases your success.
Writing Great Website Sales Copy
Many small businesses fail because their owners don't pay enough attention to marketing and sales. Part of the effectiveness of a marketing effort is directly related to the sales copy you produce.
Fill Your Readers with Confidence
Site visitors generally stay with you for as long as they feel confident that they will succeed in achieving their goal. It's a simple truth, but important.
Its the Headline, Stupid! - Writing Powerful Headlines
"It's the headline, stupid," is the sign that hangs over my computer screen. It reminds me that to write effective articles, press releases, sales letters--whatever I want people to read--I need a powerful, grabber headline or title.
To Start Making Cash from Your Online Writing, You Must Draw Blood First
Writers write just like painters, paint on canvas. This is one of the reasons why it is important that you launch your writing career by getting some freelance writing work that you can get paid for doing.
3 Steps To Better Sales Copywriting
Whether you're wet-behind-the-ears or a seasoned copywriter, your craft will benefit by remembering one thing:You're nothing more than a salesperson.There's an old saying in the "business" that, "a copywriter is a salesperson sitting in front of a typewriter.
Step One for Copywriters: Understand WHAT to Say
Find a passage of poorly written copy, and chances are you will have found a copywriter who never figured out what it was that he or she was trying to say. Whenever I have trouble with some copy, I stop, sit back and then write at the very top of the page.
Four Things Every Web Site Headline Must Do
As you know, I'm constantly making the point that the text on web sites is not given enough attention. Which is unfortunate, because the headlines on site pages make huge demands on the skills of any writer.
Freelance Copywriting Advice #1: Take the Scary Jobs
From time to time you will be faced with an opportunity that looks downright scary.The temptation is to think, "Hey, that's way outside my level of expertise.
Quotations as Expressions in Life
Quotations are expressions, usually in the spoken form or in literature, which are referenced to by others. Usually, quotations are written within quotation marks, as a verbum dicendi, to indicate that it was an expression given by a particular person.
How To Test The Body Of Your Sales Copy For Weaknesses
Your sales copy is the life source of your business. If your sales copy isn't pulling in a decent conservation rate, then your business is suffering.
Promote Your Business and Get Paid for Doing It!
How can you gain credibility and exposure for you and your business, reach a motivated audience, develop a far-flung network, hone your presentation skills -- and get paid to do it?Many writers, artists, speakers and entrepreneurs have found an answer: they teach classes in adult education programs.Adult education is big business.
9 Tips for Great Design of Your Marketing Materials
1) Don't just hire a good designer. Hire someone who has had plenty of experience designing business collateral.
Five Tips for Writing Eyeball-Grabbing Headlines
If you made it this far, the headline for this story has caught your attention. Hot headlines are a hit with readers because they stick out, grab attention and urge them to read the rest of the story.
Website Promotion: 10 Secret Motivational Triggers That Make People Buy
Unless you know the secret motivational secrets that make people buy, your efforts in website promotion may not be fruitful.Here are some website promotion triggers to help you:1.
Custom Writing Services: Market Overview
Market identification Custom writing services market is a sector of the e-commerce industry. Custom writing services are fee-based.
|home | site map|