8 Tips for Writing Headlines that Grab Attention (and Keep Prospects Reading!)
Effective headlines make all the difference in whether your prospect reads your marketing materials or simply tosses them to the side. You don't even have a chance for a sale if the audience won't read what you write. One way to keep prospects reading is to give your copy attention-grabbing headlines. Here are eight tips to make sure your headlines get the message across:
1. Turn each headline into a problem or benefit-oriented statement. What interests a prospect most about what you offer? Reading headlines that tell how great your company is or focusing only on the features of your product or service won't cut it. Instead, speak to what appeals most to a prospect - usually, that's the fact that you offer the solution to their problem.
2. Make headlines short, sweet and to the point. Your reader's attention span can be measured in milliseconds, so you must get to the point fast. Use as few words as possible to entice your reader to continue reading.
3. Don't sensationalize your headline. Ever read a headline that sounded too good to be true? That's exactly what your reader will think if you promise too much in your headline. Keep headlines factual but exciting?from your prospect's point of view.
4. Immediately explain your headline in the copy that follows. Once you've got your prospect's attention with exciting headlines, make sure your copy tells the rest of the story. And do it as soon after the headline as possible, or your prospect may quit reading after less than a paragraph if he feels the headline didn't explain itself promptly.
5. Use attention-grabbing verbiage. Don't be shy with your headlines...use words and phrases that give your reader an enticement to keep reading. After all, if you see headlines starting with Free, Secrets of..., Tips to..., or a question, you'll probably keep reading so you don't miss anything. Your prospect feels the same way.
6. Keep your target audience in mind. Explain the benefits of your product or service in a way that always appeals to your target market. Never forget who they are, what they like/dislike, what problems they face, and what solutions they need.
7. Use action verbs instead of "to be" verbs. One of the simplest, most powerful ways to liven up headlines means changing "to be" verbs into action verbs. Replace verbs such as is, are, was, were, has, and have with action words. In fact, you should avoid using "to be" verbs in all of your copy, but especially avoid using them in your headlines.
8. Test your materials on a knowledgeable audience. Put your piece to the test by asking people you trust to evaluate it and give you honest feedback. Then, tighten up the headlines and copy some more, and get ready to watch your marketing materials convince prospects you really do have the solution to their problem!
Nancy J. Wagner of Cut to the Chase Marketing is a speaker, writer, and marketing strategist who helps small businesses increase their sales with effective marketing materials and websites. Download her free 9-step marketing plan at CutToTheChaseMarketing.com
How You Can Find Freelance Children's Writing Positions That Will Last
Freelance children's writing positions are always advertised. Rather, the schooling to learn how to write for these jobs is advertised.
On Copying and Stealing Designs
The notion on the great artist, Pablo Picasso's quote, "Bad artists copy. Good artists steal" is lost on many.
Write Benefits in Your Headlines to Deliver the Dream!
When you create headlines, do you put benefits into your headlines to deliver the dream? Do you create headlines that draw your reader deeper into the rest of copy?Let me ask you a simple question. "Why do people read any printed material beyond the headline?"The answer, because there was something in the headline that attracted their attention, raised their interest and curiosity, or contained a perceived benefit for the reader.
10 Tips for Writing Web Copy
One of the most important aspects of a website today is the webcopy - sometimes called the sales letter.In days gone bye, banners and graphics were all important but now it's the words that do the selling.
Advice for Copywriters: How to Win the Freelance Bidding War
Are you a freelance copywriter working from home? If so, you've probably been on the project bidding war sites, like elance.com.
Sell Anything To Anyone On The Internet With Hypnotic Writing
I imagine you are the type of person who really wants to make your idea a reality. I also think that you fall into one of two groups; the first is a person who WANTS to succeed but does not know how.
3 Tips For Writing Better Headlines
The single most important element of your website's copy is the headline. Take away practically everything else and you can still manage a sale (if the headline's good enough and you have a strong enough call to action).
10 Tips for Writing Effective Web Copy
On the Internet programmers and designers rule, not the writer. Yet words drive targeted traffic to your site, carry content, make the sale, convey marketing messages, persuade people to buy and make the difference between your site's success or failure.
Traffics Nice... But Whos Driving?
In the competitive marketplace of the new millennium, the demand for specialized products or services will increase. If your site sells everything or to everyone, chances are that your audience will not perceive a value in shopping from you any greater than from anyone else.
Making a Living as a Copywriter; Freelancing Versus Agency
So You Want To be A Copywriter?Wannabe copywriters often check out my site for information relating to my services and fees. And quite right too! I still give my competitor's websites a 'gander' every now and then, in case they're doing something that I should be doing.
5 Rules for Effective Written Sales Communications
Most salespeople have great ideas, but when it comes to putting those ideas on paper for their prospects, they ramble on for pages and quickly lose their readers' interest. Why do brilliant salespeople often have such a difficult time writing effective sales materials? Quite simply, these professionals haven't mastered the 5 rules of effective written business communications.
Some Copy Tips From An Old Hand
I have been in the ad game for a long, long time. I have trained hundreds of writers, and I've been responsible for moving of millions £ & $ in product worldwide.
Does Your Copy Look Fake To the Search Engines?
From the early days of search engine optimization, keywords and content have always been vital to achieving your goals. Starting back in the days when we used to shove every slightly relevant keyword into our Meta tags, it has been obvious that search engines love text.
Sticky Homepage Copy in 30 Seconds
Yes indeed, that's all you've got, 30 seconds to make your website visitors decide to stick around..
Long Copy vs. Short Copy? If You're Still Debating This, You're Missing The Point!
I've seen this ongoing debate debate jump up again recently in several Blogs and message boards and I can't help but laugh. It's not a new debate? Ever since the long copy masters of the early 1900's, people have been arguing for or against the practice.
There is a difference between creative writing and copywriting. It took me a while to come to terms with this but it's true, there is a difference.
How You Can Become A Freelance Business Plan Writer
As with any business, becoming a freelance business plan writer can be a challenge. The first challenges involve factors such as cash flow, getting clients, and maintaining some sort of order.
Why Copywriting Is The Secret To Your Online Success
Over the last decade, the number of companies selling their products and services on the Web or sharing information online with their target market has exploded.It's no longer frowned upon to conduct your business on the Web, and huge numbers of people are making a healthy living doing just that.
Yale University Researchers Reveal The 12 Most Powerful Words In The Human Language...
In this article, I am going to reveal a dozen words, which could change your life. Why? Because Yale University researches have identified the 12 most powerful words in the human language? proven to attract attention and stir emotion within their readers.
Freelance Writers: Double Your Income
Freelance writers are a strange group of people when it comes to running their own businesses.They are outspoken and enthusiastic while selling their clients' products and services, but are hopelessly shy and reticent about blowing their own horns.
|home | site map|